A considerable step in the right direction, as I’ve already mentioned in the presentation of the first 7″: Harder, faster and catchier. The towel-around-the-neck-sim is gone here and on the faster a-side, there’s plenty of good old SAXON (“Strong Arm of the Law”-era) to be heard, including a competent and tight rhythm guitar section. The vocals are a bit Biff-y too, but technically pretty weak – which of course, this is goodbadusic here, is what we especially like. It’s that nowadays totally vanished humane factor that makes this kind of music as great as the 50s rock’n’roll singles.
Especially the b-side, “On the Run”, is the smash hit and I couldn’t get it off the old Rex turntable after buying this single from my pocket money. It was on display in the village’s only record shop’s window for a short time because the owner normally only ordered 2 or 3 of these Neat singles, so I couldn’t wait until school was over on that one day, rushing to the store (“Disco Shop”!) and getting this slab with the great skeleton cover.
When I met the HELLHAMMER guys the year after, I quickly realized that Tom (being the enormous NWOBHM lover he was) recycled all these band names and song titles for his own group. This made a lot of impression on me and gave HELHAMMER a great aura of seriousness.
Annual Donation RoundThank you for your donations!
Quote of the moment:«What strikes me is the fact that in our society, art has become something which is related only to objects and not to individuals, or to life. That art is something which is specialized or which is done by experts who are artists. But couldn't everyone's life become a work of art? Why should the lamp or the house be an art object, but not our life?» (Michel Foucault)
On heavy rotation:
BULLDOZER's lost 1984 demo. Awesome!
Movie of the moment:
«Another Woman». Recently revisited this somehow overlooked Woody Allen movie. Stunningly complex and well balanced between straight story telling and a very elaborate character study.
Book of the moment:
Jugendliteratur ist ja nun nicht mein bevorzugtes Genre, aber dieser Roman des kürzlich verstorbenen Wolfgang Herrndorf ist ein aussergewöhnlicher Roadtrip in einem geklauten Auto. Unangepasst, sensibel und eine richtige Energiepille vom feinsten!
- Not even an announcement! April 29, 2014
- SEX DWARF- Full av aska 7″EP (D-Takt & Rapunk Records / Konton Crasher, Sweden 2013) December 24, 2013
- RE-UP: In memoriam Jeff Hanneman (1964-2013): SLAYER- Instrumental rehearsal session for “Hell awaits” (1985) September 30, 2013
- CRUCIFIX- s/t 12″EP (Universal Records, USA, 1981) September 15, 2013
- Squirt, The: s/t Cassette Album (selfproduced, Switzerland, 1983) September 12, 2013
- CHEETAH CROME MOTHERFUCKERS- s/t 7″EP (Cessofonya Records, Italy, 1981) May 12, 2013
- GHOST- Year Zero Video March 26, 2013
- OVERDRIVE- s/t 7″EP (Boring Grantham Records, UK, 1981) March 7, 2013
- ANTISECT: Out from the Void 7″ (Endangered Musik, UK, 1986) January 20, 2013
- SCREAMING SNEAKERS- Marching Orders 12″ EP (Screaming Sneakers Records, USA, 1982) January 6, 2013