Not too long ago, I played this demo to a few youngsters who were “into Death Metal”. They thought this was a very aggressive Hardcoreâ€“Punk band and didn’t like the three songs at all. Well, to me this defines the first wave of Death Metal like few other recordings and yes, it is indeed close to Hardcore in terms of relentless urgency. All three songs rip with ultimate ferocity and the sound is so fucking great that it’s safe to say, DEATH never ever came close to this power again. Although I liked Kam Lee’s vocals much better (my favourite Death Metal singer ever!), his sloppy drumming and the overall sloppyness of this demo just are perfect. You cannot produce more power with three songs. Impossible. Never. Forget it. If you have a band and strive for raw power in sound, give it up and do something else with your life.
I was penpal with all of DEATH’s original members and a couple of friends of the band since 1984 on. This resulted in me receiving numerous tapes and memorabilia of all sorts (including candy Chuck had stolen to send me and such). Good thing for you: My rip is coming from a genuine first generation source, making it sound a lot better in sound than on the recently released controversial doubly-CD anthology (“Chuck Schuldiner: Zero Tolerance”). I never did receive a cover though. I’ve seen one on the internet but I’m not so sure it actually came with the tape in the first place. Anybody has more information? I did scan the piece of paper tracklist I got with the tape, written by Chuck appearantly. I didn’t edit the tape, leaving it as it was, dubbed from the master tape directly.
However â€“ make sure you got some beer at hand, your heads sorted out and then turn up loud ….
- All links taken down very soon! March 15, 2015
- Goodbye to goodbadmusic.com! March 5, 2015
- Not even an announcement! April 29, 2014
- SEX DWARF- Full av aska 7″EP (D-Takt & Rapunk Records / Konton Crasher, Sweden 2013) December 24, 2013
- RE-UP: In memoriam Jeff Hanneman (1964-2013): SLAYER- Instrumental rehearsal session for “Hell awaits” (1985) September 30, 2013
- CRUCIFIX- s/t 12″EP (Universal Records, USA, 1981) September 15, 2013
- Squirt, The: s/t Cassette Album (selfproduced, Switzerland, 1983) September 12, 2013
- CHEETAH CROME MOTHERFUCKERS- s/t 7″EP (Cessofonya Records, Italy, 1981) May 12, 2013
- GHOST- Year Zero Video March 26, 2013
- OVERDRIVE- s/t 7″EP (Boring Grantham Records, UK, 1981) March 7, 2013